1908 – The Sociological Review is launched by an organisation known as the Sociological Society, and is the only British journal of sociology. Some of The SR’s earliest authors include Emile Durkheim, W.E.B. Du Bois, R.K. Merton, Meyer Fortes, T. H. Marshall, Lewis Mumford, Karl Mannheim and public intellectuals such as R.H. Tawney, Hilaire Belloc and H. G. Wells (a veritable ‘who-was-who’ of national and international social science).
1942 (approx.) – The journal moves to Ledbury, and is published with the support of Oxford University Press.
1946 – The library and papers of the journal’s then parent organization - Institute of Sociology – are donated to what was then University College of North Staffordshire (Keele) on the condition that the College took over responsibility for publication of the Review.
1952 – University College of North Staffordshire agrees to take responsibility for publishing The Sociological Review, and publication starts again the following year.
1970s – The Board of the Sociological Review acquires a more national and international character.
1980s – The gender imbalance of the Board begins to be addressed, and following the appointment of Olive Banks, more women are appointed.
2014 – The journal launches a new website and online presence, and begins to reconstitute itself as a broader independent charitable organization, dedicated to the advancement and study of sociology in everyday life.
2015 – Charitable status of The Sociological Review Foundation is secured.